Main Article Content
fasciectomy, Australia, Dupuytren's disease, microbial collagenase, treatment outcomes
Introduction: While the history and epidemiology of Dupuytren's disease (DD) is well documented, its aetiology and risk factors, pathogenesis and treatment to this day are still being studied. This paper explores and summarises the significant contributions Australian researchers have made to the understanding of DD and its treatment methodologies.
Methods: We performed a systematic search on EMBASE from 1947 until March 2019 to identify all English literature using keywords: ‘Dupuytren/Dupuytrens/Dupuytren’s disease’ and ‘Australia/Australian/Australasian’. Relevant articles were also identified through bibliographic links. A separate search was conducted using Google Scholar, Research Gate and PubMed using the same keywords. In total, 40 articles were identified. A library search was also conducted, with one book identified with an Australian author. The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Journal of Surgery was also analysed for published abstracts pertaining to DD from conference presentations between 2014 to 2019.
Results and discussion: We present a narrative discussion of Australian research that has contributed to the understanding of DD from its aetiology to treatment methodologies.
Conclusion: Numerous Australians have made significant contributions to the understanding of DD, its pathogenesis, development and multiple treatment modalities, both non-surgical and surgical. Dupuytren’s disease is a progressive disease that reoccurs despite our best efforts and will continue to be a topic of focus for some time to come.
2. Hueston JT. Dupuytren’s contracture. 1st Edition. Edinburgh and London: E & S Lingstone Ltd, 1963. 123 p.
3. Hindocha S, McGrouther DA, Bayat A. Epidemiological evaluation of Dupuytren’s disease incidence and prevalence rates in relation to etiology. Hand. 2009;4(3):256–69.
4. Hart MG, Hooper G. Clinical associations of Dupuytren’s disease. Postgrad Med J. 2005;81(957):425–28.
5. Hueston JT, Seyfer AE. Some medicolegal aspects of Dupuytren’s contracture. Hand Clin. 1991 Nov;7(4):617–32; discussion 633–34. PMID:1769984
6. Hueston JT. Further studies on the incidence of Dupuytren’s contracture. Med J Aust. 1962 Apr 21;49(1):586–88. PMID: 14449733
7. Murrell GAC, Hueston JT. Aetiology of Dupuytren’s contracture. ANZ J Surg. 1990.
8. Hueston JT, Murrell GAC. Cell-controlling factors in Dupuytren’s contracture. Ann Chir la Main. 1990;9(2):135–37.
9. Hueston JT. Unsatisfactory results in Dupuytren’s contracture. Philosophies of Dr. J. T. Hueston. Hand Clin. 1991 Nov;7(4):759–63. PMID: 1769997
10. Hueston JT. Dupuytren’s contracture and occupation. J Hand Surg Am. 1987;12(5):657–58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-5023(87)80042-4
11. Hueston JT. Dupuytren’s contracture: the trend to conservatism. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1965;36(October):134–51. PMID: 14263949 PMCID: PMC2311814
12. Hueston JT. Dupuytren’s contracture. Curr Orthop. 1988 Jul;2(3):173–78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0890(88)90024-2
13. Hueston JT. Dorsal Dupuytren’s disease. J Hand Surg Am. 1982;7(4):384–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-5023(82)80149-4
14. MacCallum SP, Hueston JT. The pathology of dupuytren’s contracture. ANZ J Surg. 1962 May;31(4):241–53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.1962.tb03271.x
15. Cleland H, Morrison WA. Dupuytren’s disease in the thumb: Two cases of a central cord. J Hand Surg Am. 1986;11(1):68–70. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-7681(86)90017-3 PMID: 3958553
16. Boyce DE, Tonkin MA. Dorsal Dupuytren’s disease causing a swan-neck deformity. J Hand Surg Am. 2004;29(6):636–3S7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsb.2004.06.003 PMID:15542232
17. Lanzetta M, Morrison WA. Dupuytren’s disease occurring after a surgical injury to the hand. J Hand Surg Am. 1996 Aug 29;21(4):481–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0266-7681(96)80050-7 PMID: 8856538
18. Hettiaratchy S, Tonkin MA, Edmunds IA. Spiralling of the neurovascular bundle in Dupuytrens disease. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2010;35(2):103–08. https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193409349855 PMid:19828565
19. Rizzo M, editor. Dupuytren's contracture: a clinical casebook. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2016. 273 p.
20. Slattery D. Review: Dupuytren's disease in Asia and the migration theory of Dupuytren's disease. ANZ J Surg. 2010;80(7–8):495–99. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2010.05364.x PMid:20795961
21. Grenfell S, Borg M. Radiotherapy in fascial fibromatosis: A case series, literature review and considerations for treatment of early-stage disease. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2014;58(5):641–47. https://doi.org/10.1111/1754-9485.12178 PMid:24730457
22. Toppi JT, Trompf L, Smoll NR, Lim V, Smith K, Findlay MW, et al. Dupuytren's contracture: An analysis of outcomes of percutaneous needle fasciotomy versus open fasciectomy. ANZ J Surg. 2015;85(9):639–43. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.12513 PMid:24438029
23. Gilpin D, Coleman S, Hall S, Houston A, Karrasch J, Jones N. Injectable Collagenase clostridium histolyticum: A new nonsurgical treatment for Dupuytren's disease. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35(12):2027–2038.e1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2010.08.007 PMid:21134613
24. Costas B, Coleman S, Kaufman G, James R, Cohen B, Gaston RG. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum for Dupuytren disease nodules: A randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18(1):1–10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-017-1713-z PMid:28854973 PMCid:PMC5577662
25. Witthaut J, Jones G, Skrepnik N, Kushner H, Houston A, Lindau TR. Efficacy and safety of collagenase clostridium histolyticum injection for dupuytren contracture: short-term results from 2 open-label studies. J Hand Surg Am. 2013;38(1):2–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.10.008 PMid:23218556
26. Peimer CA, Blazar P, Coleman S, Kaplan FTD, Smith T, Lindau T. Dupuytren contracture recurrence following treatment with collagenase clostridium histolyticum (cordless [collagenase option for reduction of Dupuytren long-term evaluation of safety study]): 5-year data. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(8):1597–605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.04.036 PMid:26096221
27. Paynter J, Tobin V, Rozen WM, Hunter-Smith DJ. Dupuytren’s disease and collagenase: evidence for a paradigm shift in management. Aust J Plast Surg. 2018;1(2):41–50. https://doi.org/10.34239/ajops.v1i2.94
28. Tursi J, Jones N, Coleman S, Gilpin D, Kaufman G, Cohen B. Multiple concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections to dupuytren's cords: an exploratory study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012;13(1):1–8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-13-61 PMid:22540636 PMCid:PMC3409044
29. Gaston G, Larsen SE, Pess GM, Coleman S, Dean B, Cohen BM, Kaufman GJ, Tursi JP, Hurst LC. The efficacy and safety of concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections for two Dupuytren contractures in the same hand: a prospective, multicenter study. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(10):1963–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2015.06.099 PMid:26216077
30. Coleman S, Gilpin D, Kaplan FTD, Houston A, Kaufman GJ, Cohen B, Jones N, Tursi JP. Efficacy and safety of concurrent collagenase clostridium histolyticum injections for multiple Dupuytren contractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2014;39(1):57–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2013.10.002 PMid:24315486
31. Fletcher J, Tan ESL, Thomas M, Taylor F, Elliott D, Bindra R. Collagenase injections for Dupuytren's contracture: prospective cohort study in a public health setting. ANZ J Surg. 2019;16–19.
32. Wiseman J, Tree K, Guio-Aguilar P, Pratt G, Nizzaro D, Leung M, Leong J. Collagenase management of multicord Dupuytren's disease under intravenous sedation: A prospective cohort study. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019;7(2):1–5. https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000002133 PMid:30881844 PMCid:PMC6416124
33. Muppavarapu RC, Waters MJ, Leibman MI, Belsky MR, Ruchelsman DE. Clinical outcomes following collagenase injections compared to fasciectomy in the treatment of Dupuytren's contracture. Hand. 2015;10(2):260–65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11552-014-9704-0 PMid:26034441 PMCid:PMC4447679
34. Sefton AK, Smith BJ, Stewart DA. Cost Comparison of collagenase clostridium histolyticum and fasciectomy for treatment of Dupuytren's contracture in the Australian health system. J Hand Surg Asian-Pacific Vol. 2018;23(03):336–41. https://doi.org/10.1142/S2424835518500327 PMid:30282551
35. Elliott D, Bindra R, Roychowdhury S, Comans T, Flecther J. Collagenase injections for Dupuytren's in Australian public hospitals? A cost analysis. Aust J Plast Surg. 2019;2(1). https://doi.org/10.34239/ajops.v2i1.73
36. Livingston R, Wagels M, Heald A. Using collagenase to treat Dupuytren's disease? A hypothetical cost benefit analysis. Aust J Plast Surg. 2019;2(1). https://doi.org/10.34239/ajops.v2i1.42
37. Rank BK, Chang L. Surgery for Dupuytren'S contracture: a long term review. ANZ J Surg. 1978;48(4):398-400. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.1978.tb04884.x PMid:282871
38. Behan F. Dupuytren's disease? Using keystone techniques to improve vascular dynamics. Aust J Plast Surg. 2019;2(1):8–16. https://doi.org/10.34239/ajops.v2i1.134
39. Nikkhah D, Blair J. Microscope assisted surgery for dupuytrens disease. J Plast Reconstr Aesthetic Surg. 2019;72(2):335-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2018.10.033 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjps.2018.10.033 PMid:30472045
40. Leung R, Capstick R, Lei A, Nour D, Rozen WM, Hunter-Smith DJ. Morbidity of interventions in previously untreated Dupuytren disease: A systematic review. Eur J Plast Surg. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00238-018-1490-4
41. Hand Surgery Program Abstracts. ANZ J Surg. 2014 May;84:84–89. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.12613
42. Abstract Journal for Hand Surgery. ANZ J Surg. 2016 May;86:68–79. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.13558
43. Abstract Journal Hand Surgery. ANZ J Surg. 2018 May;88:71–79. http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/ans.14524 https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.14524 PMid:27122066